Annoucement

  • What: Introduction To James
  • When: 27 July 2011, Wednesday, 8-10:30pm
  • Where: Adriel's House

Thursday 6 August 2009

Courage is fear turned into prayer

Yesterday, I was holding on to three children and one ran away. One of the children I was still holding on to was mouthing a blunt metal hook tied to a door using a piece of string. In a hurry to get the runaway child back, I said in a stern voice, "Eddie, don't mouth the hook." Then, I pulled his hand towards the direction of the runaway child. The next thing that happened was that I heard a loud shrill. When I looked at Eddie, I was shocked that the hook pierced through his cheek from inside his mouth. I was screaming in my heart, "No!!! God... Tell me what to do..." I was so afraid that he might pull the hook and tear the side of his mouth that I removed it immediately. As I brought him to the first aid room, I was deeply apologetic for causing pain to him.

As I was feeling sorrowful last night, I chanced upon this passage:

We often think that to have courage means to be unafraid, but the opposite seems to be true: courage is the ability to take action despite our fear. When faced with a seemingly insuperable task or situation, a courageous person realizes the limits of her resources; however, she cannot avoid or escape the overpowering situation. The supremacy of that which she must face forces her to her knees, and although the task seems impossible, something within her senses that it is not. As she tackles the impossible, she falls back on another seeming impossibility: God. Because the task at hand exceeds the limits of her abilities, she must resort to something beyond these limits, and here we have the origin of prayer. Prayer is a courageous stand in the face of an overpowering task. The courageous person prays because she is afraid. Hence, courage is a quality of being humble and understanding the limits of our resources.

After reading that, I fell on my knees and waited upon the Lord. I believe things will soon be fine because God said that all things work together for good to those who love him and have been called according to his purpose.

2 comments:

Gabriel Tee said...

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

It is through the difficulties in life that we see the frailty in us, and learn to rely on God.

I remember that there was once where I was lost in a trip on Taiwan, and I was really stumped on how to get back to my peers in a hotel. I had ventured on my own thinking there wouldnt be a problem for me to get back. However, even the taxi drivers didnt recognise the address of the card I had taken from the Hotel, and I was helpless.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

It was then that I decided not to rely on myself, and trust in the Lord instead. Armed with new-found comfort and a prayer, I marched on to enjoy the sights. Lo and behold, God led me to one of my friends who was a frequent traveller and he brought me all over the city, allowing me to thoroughly enjoyed myself.

If I were relying on myself, most probably I'd end up looking for the nearest police post and kinda mess up the trip. But it is through faith in God that I found so much more in the trip, and know get to know my friend better.

Will keep you in prayer. Hey, we both know that God will resolve this in His own special way :)


In faith and trust,
Gab

Fiona Zeng said...

WoW~* Getting lost in an unknown land. I once dreamt that I kept walking round and round an unknown city, not being able to find my way to hotel. Quite scary. Never expected that ending though. Sounds like you have lots of fun. Thanks for sharing your experiences, it really helps to get the blog going. See you around, brother Gab!! (^o^)b